Monday, October 25, 2010

MCA



Jason Middlebrook




Der Diagnostische Blick V, 1992
Oil on Canvas

'The title of a German phsicians' guide that feature images of
physical manifestation of various diseases and aliments, and
allows doctors to better recognize those symptoms in their patients.



It was my second visit to the Museum of Comtemporary Art, the first time was last year during the very cold winter time, and this time with my dear art appreciation class. There were various projects going on that day, first floor which we focused mostly, one room, there was Alexander Calder's exhibition and the other room, many different comtemporary artists' exhibition. Calder's work was basically showing us variety of creative mobile works. Among all, I could see shapes of animal, insect, fish, etc. The point that I got from his work was that this artist is very attracted by the motional fact of mobile. When I think about mobile, the first thing that I can think is the line works. Several lines are connected to shapes stably. Also Cader's work showed me the composition of whole figure and the spacing. And expressing living things as mobile which has motional effect, it was much better to show audience about the  characteristics. On the other hand, in the second room which I liked better, for I like something various. I could see several artists' different style of art works, but the one that I liked the most was the works from Jason Middlebrook.
"How much thought and consideration goes into our devision"
Above those two pictures shows his speciality very well. He used natural wood's shape, pattern, and variety of colors on this art works. When I used to draw a lot, I drew a lot of natural stuff, like tree, bird, various kinds of plant, and the sky. His work, reminded me the works that I did years ago.
 Yet, unlike I used pastel colors, Jason used acrylic colors to express the natural beauty and it shows very strong clear shapes and the tangibleness.


On the forth floor, I could find the European artist Luc Tuymans exhibition. Like the photo above, his works has very light pastel tone colors which makes me feel like looking at old films. His color works are very light, so I was thinking it must be water colors, but it was acrylic. Even though, he used this shallow tones, it express enough amount of shades, the weight of masses.

As the MCA is at very convenient location, we should visit more often to help our life better.
Since the architectural design of MCA is so estetic to be in raining day, we should look through the window on a raining day.


No comments:

Post a Comment