Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Art Institute of Chicago





One of the good reasons to take ART103 course is that you get chances to go to art museum once awhile.
Especially, I really appreciate the fact; because, sometime it's hard to catch everything what's going on in this modern society, in other words, busy life. When I have really busy life, planning to go to an art museum can sound too fancy, but through class, I get great excuse as "part of class" anyway, it was another great experience.
There were so many different exhibitions going on, it was even hard to look at everything in one day I believe. Particularly, the new part of AIC was impressive, I liked the sensual architectural design a lot. The little cafeteria between galleries was plus point, since AIC is not a small museum, audience must get tired of looking at the variety of works, in the mean time, if people could take a breath at the cafeteria, that little cafeteria roles very thoughtfully.
Another point, I did not expect to see the great great artists' works at that time, one of chicago's museums, what could be very special? just comfortable feeling, but when I walked in there were the great Monet, Gogh, Picasso, Mendrian, etc. If I was someone who could judge the museum, it was excellent qualitiwise.
I warmed up myself from the legendary artists' works, with all my meditated feeling, I went into the back room on the second floor, there was, the sculptures, I guess I enjoyed them the most at AIC that day.



 

The pictures give me second feeling unlike the impression that I got at the museum, familiar now, and warmer. Some of sculptures got me confused as well, in the last picture, the title of the sculpture is "Two penguins" hmm... IF I could have chance to make a title for this art work, I would call it "Two Loving Thumbs" because, it seems like a lovely couple's thumbs are crossed over on each others. Well, still I can't tell "it's totally wrong" because there can always be hidden special meanings that artist had when he/she was making it. It just doesn't deliver the purpose or meaning directly.  And the second photo above, that is the one touched my emotion the most, It seems like a little pure child's figure. The facial expression, and the movement of little shoulders tell me that he's little tired. What a cute sculpture! just made me feel like we have to take care of children whenever they need help! :-)
At that day, I did not have time to look around all the art works(because of my next class), but I would like to go back soon! Thumb's up !!!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting reflection. Indeed, the building seems to influence how we feel when viewing the work. The older part is cramped, dark and often crowded. The new wing seems light, airy, fresh- total contrast! Your "two thumbs" title seems very appropriate even though that title really comes from a frontal view.I wonder WHY you enjoyed these sculptures the most. What exactly "speaks" to you in these? Simplicity? material?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so sure what the reason was, but I believe that simplicity was part of it.

    ReplyDelete